Enjoy the dairy free super delicious and creamy payasam/kheer.
¼ cup (60gms) Rice
30-40gms Raw sugar (or as per taste)
400ml Coconut milk
120gms Coconut cream
2tsp almond meal
Cashew nuts and raisins
Cardamom powder 1/8 tsp
2tsp Ghee (vegans omit ghee)
few Saffron strands soaked in 1tbsp warm water /milk
1. Soak rice for half an hour. In a heavy base sauce pan add the soaked rice, 1/4 cup water and the coconut milk.
2. Bring to a boil over medium heat and then reduce to a simmer.
3. Cook till rice is tender and remove from flame. Mash a bit of the rice. At this point the mixture should be like a pouring custard consistency. Add little water if needed.
4. Add sugar, salt, cardamom powder and stir. Put it back on low flame.
5. Keep stirring till sugar dissolves and mixture starts to boil.
6. Finally add the coconut cream and almond meal to the payasam. Cook for few more minutes on low while stirring. Remove from flame.
7. In a small pan heat ghee and fry the cashew nuts and raisins separately. Add to the above. If you are a vegan simply add these along with coconut cream.
8. Add the saffron and gently mix. Refrigerate at room temperature. Serve chilled.