• 150gm urad dal/ black gram
• Handful Rajma/ kidney beans
• 1 tsp ginger chopped
• 2 garlic cloves chopped (optional)
• 3-4 tbsp ghee
• Pinch of Hing/ asafoetida
• 1 Onion chopped
• 4 tomatoes chopped
• 1 tsp cumin seeds
• 1tsp chilli powder
• ½ tsp garam masala
• 2-3 tbsp fresh cream
• Coriander leaves to garnish
1. Wash and soak urad dal and rajma for a couple of hours to reduce the cooking time.
2. Drain the water and place the dal and rajma in pressure cooker with ginger and garlic. Add water, the ratio of dal and water should be 1:4.
3. Cook for 6-8 whistles or till they are soft. Allow the pressure cooker to cool.
4. Add some water if the mixture is too thick and lightly mash the cooked dal and rajma mixture with the back of the ladle.
5. Heat ghee in a heavy base pan. Add hing, cumin seeds and let it crackle.
6. Add chopped onion and fry until golden brown.
7. Add chopped tomatoes and fry until ghee separates.
8. Add cooked dal and rajma mixture. Add chilli powder, garam masala and salt.
9. Add little water if needed and simmer for another 15 minutes.
10. Add cream and stir for 2 minutes.
11. Remove from flame. The end product should have a creamy texture.
12. Garnish with fresh cream, coriander leaves and sliced onion.
13. Serve hot with steamed rice, paratha, naan or roti.