Dalia Upma is a simple and healthy breakfast made from cracked wheat. Cracked wheat is made by milling whole wheat kennels into smaller pieces, thus preserving the nutrient and fiber rich bran and germ layers.
¼ cup dalia/broken wheat (medium to large)
1 tbsp moong dal/pesara pappu
¾ cup water
1 small onion chopped
½ tsp grated ginger
2 tbsp chopped beans
2 tbsp chopped carrot
Cashew nut few
½ tsp ghee
salt to taste
½ tsp mustard seeds
¼ tsp cumin seeds
½ Urad dal
a pinch of hing/asafoetida
Curry leaves sprig
1. Heat ½ tsp ghee in a pressure cooker. Roast the dalia and moong dal on low flame. Add ¾ cup water and pressure cook till done.
2. Heat the oil in a pan, add the hing, mustard seeds, cumin seeds, urad dal and curry leaves.
3. Saute for a minute and add chopped onion, green chillies and ginger. Stir and fry till the onions turn golden.
4. Add the carrot, beans and cashew nuts, mix well and cook for 1 to 2 minutes.
5. Meanwhile open the pressure cooker and add the cooked dalia mix to the above pan. Add salt.
6. Mix gently and cook for 2 minutes. Remove from the flame.
7. Serve hot with any chutney, pickle or as is.