We at TeluguMalli have scoured the web looking for some more interesting and outright funny facts about one of our most favoured foods: Ice Cream. With the summer season having just ended, we’re stocking up on some ice cream knowledge for the coming season.
- The co-founder of Ben and Jerry’s Ice Cream Ben Cohen can’t actually smell and has near-loss of taste. To compensate for this, he would add chunks of fruits to ice cream to satisfy his need for texture
- The ice cream cone was created in America during the 1904 World’s Fair in St. Louis, when an ice cream vendor ran out of cups and asked a nearby waffle vendor to roll up his waffles to hold the ice cream
- The first career ambition for Rupert Grint’s (Ronald Weasley from Harry Potter) was to be an “Ice Cream Man” and he bought an ice cream truck with the money he earned from Harry Potter movies
- Ice cream testers use gold spoons to be able to taste the product 100% without a slight percentage of ‘after-taste’ from typical spoons and to get the full flavour of the ice creams
- During World War 2, scientists concluded that consumption of ice cream was the leading cause of the polio epidemic. This was only based on the stats that there were more cases of polio in the summer, which was also when ice cream consumption was at its highest.
- Ben and Jerry’s has a real physical graveyard in Vermont for retired ice cream flavours
- To diffuse a situation with rioting youths in Northern Ireland in 2010 a police officer played ice cream van music. The youths stopped throwing bottles however was given a stern warning as humour used to calm the situation was seen as inappropriate by his seniors.
- February 4th is the National Ice Cream for Breakfast Day for the USA.
- It takes an average of 50 licks to finish one scoop of ice cream