The thought of water in a copper vessel takes me back a few decades. I remember as a kid drinking water from a ragi bindekunda (copper pot) at my grandparents in the coastal regions of Andhra Pradesh. Though there were a few water filled brass pots and one copper pot besides each other, everyone drank water from the copper one. To my surprise we followed them blindly.
I may have realised the importance of copper vessel later in life but not to this extent. Maybe our ancestors knew its importance and that’s why they stored the sacred water ‘Gangajal’ in copper vessel for it to remain fresh for years to come.
According to the Ayurveda, water stored in a copper vessel has the ability to balance all the three doshas in our body. The water stored in a copper vessel is known as ‘tamara jal’ and is supposed to be consumed after storing the water in a copper vessel for at least eight hours.
When water is stored in a copper vessel, small amount of copper leeches into the water and offers all its positive properties. This water is an excellent remedy to numerous diseases. Did you know copper jewellery is often used to treat common ailments in India? For example wearing a bracelet is believed to relieve arthritis pain in the wrist and hand.
Incredible healing benefits of copper
- Copper has anti-microbial properties and can inhibit growth of harmful bacteria.
- Copper slows aging, fights free radicals, one of the main reasons for the formation of fine lines and helps production of new and healthy skin cells replacing the old and dead.
- Primary element in production of melanin (pigmentation of eyes, hair and skin) in our bodies.
- Relieves from the common problems of acidity, gas or indigestion.
- Copper possess anti-convulsions properties and prevent brain from seizures.
- Anti-inflammatory properties relieve aches and pains caused by inflamed joints.
- Antioxidant and anti-carcinogenic properties
- Prevent from premature aging and degenerative diseases, heart diseases, autoimmune diseases, arthritis, cataracts, Alzheimer’s disease, diabetes.
- Copper helps iron and sugar absorption
- Helps regulate blood pressure, heart rate and lowers one’s cholesterol and triglyceride levels.
- Regulates thyroid gland function.
- Medically drinking water from a copper vessel helps in fertility and conception.
Note: Drinking water twice a day from a copper vessel is good enough to reap its benefits. Excess intake may be harmful to the body.